Paul’s basic rules for university teaching:
- Never use PowerPoint or other slideshows.
- Always focus on what the students do.
- Speak for no more than 15 minutes at a time.
- Cover exactly one idea per class.
- Assign tons of reading and writing.
- Convey high expectations.
Learning is often curtailed by environmental and school-wide factors. Consequently, the most productive changes may be improving air quality, increasing natural light, installing speakers to overcome poor acoustics or purchasing more ergonomic seating. Tired, uncomfortable, malnourished, sick students learn little.